|1 Item||Total: $4.50|
|(View cart) (Checkout)|
The annual American Poetry Review /Honickman First Book Prize offers publication of a book of poems, a $3,000 award, and distribution by Copper Canyon Press through Consortium.
Each year a distinguished poet is chosen to be the judge of the prize and write an introduction to the winning book. The purpose of the prize is to encourage excellence in poetry, and to provide a wide readership for a deserving first book of poems.
Note: The reading period for the 2013 prize will begin on August 1, 2012 and extend through October 31, 2012.
JUDGE: FANNY HOWE
The prize of $3,000, with an introduction by the judge and distribution of the winning book by Copper Canyon Press through Consortium, will be awarded in 2013 with publication of the book in the same year. The author will receive a standard book publishing contract, with royalties paid in addition to the $3,000 prize.
The prize is open to U.S. citizens who have not published a book-length collection of poems with a registered ISBN. Poems previously published in periodicals or limited-edition chapbooks may be included in the manuscript, but the manuscript itself must not have been published as a book-length work exceeding 25 pages. Translations are not eligible nor are works written by multiple authors. The editors of The American Poetry Review will screen manuscripts for the judge. APR complies with the CLMP Code of Ethics in the administration of this contest. The judge will select a manuscript in an anonymous review process and will not award the prize to any writer whose personal relationship to the judge poses a conflict of interest.
Please note: Manuscripts cannot be returned.
To be considered for the prize, send:
1. A clearly typed poetry manuscript of 48 pages or more, single-spaced, paginated, with a table of contents and acknowledgments.
2. Two title pages: one with your name, address, e-mail, phone number, and the book title; a second title page should contain the title only. Your name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript except the first title page.
3. An entry fee of $25 by check or money order, payable to The American Poetry Review.
4. A self-addressed stamped envelope for notification of contest results.
5. A self-addressed stamped postcard for notification of receipt of the manuscript. Your manuscript identification number will be included on this card when it is returned to you. If no postcard is included in your entry, you will not be notified of its receipt.
Send your submission to:
The American Poetry Review/ Honickman First Book Prize
1700 Sansom St. Suite 800
Philadelphia, PA 19103